A month ago I mentioned that I have been impressed by the potential of the wine newsletter sent by The Wine Gang. I am excited to say that I have done a deal with them for the Wine Conversation to give away 5 free subscriptions to their newsletter, worth £20 per year.
However, being an inquisitive and social chap, I thought I’d do it in my own way and seeing what we can learn from it.
My contention is that the best wine sites (& newsletters) need to balance learning with buying advice.
I believe that this newsletter, arranging its reviews not by style or region, but by retailer, makes it much easier to use it to buy better wines, and thus encourage subscribers to try new wines and even trade up with confidence. Most importantly, it can be used without making you change where you currently buy your wines (but you can).
So, here’s what I’m thinking (for stage 1): …
At £20 per year, the cost of the subscription works out to £1.67 per month
I’m looking for 5 people who would like to receive the newsletter (and browse the archives) of The Wine Gang (FREE), and all I ask is that you commit to answering this question: “how have you saved £1.67 (or more)“?
- It could be that you know you spend £6.99 on a decent bottle of wine, but you find two worth £5.99 you really enjoyed drinking
- It could be that you discover a wine you might have considered buying rated poorly, so you bought something else & saved that money?
- It could be that you found a wine worthy of giving as a gift that cost less than you expected
- Maybe it saved you buying another wine book (I hope not too many, they need love too)?
- Or maybe it is something else … there must be other things worth £1.67
- Or maybe you didn’t – and I’d like to know that too
I’d like to hear your thoughts (especially as this month they rated the wines of Majestic who just reduced their minimum purchase to 6 bottles). I’d love to know if YOU, wine drinkers, found value in this product. I’d like to share those experiences on this blog and on twitter.
Stage 2 will involve drinking some of your favourites together, maybe sharing the moment online, but I’ll save that for another day – but The Wine Gang are organising a Christmas Wine Tasting event so watch this space
So, who wants to test this out?
Leave me a comment below and I’ll see how many volunteers I get and the decide how to apportion the subscriptions.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Majestic’s news: two big developments (wineanorak.com)
- Wine gifts: Buying wine for godchildren (telegraph.co.uk)
- 9 Affordable Wines That Go Great With Chips [Taste Test] (gizmodo.com)